Here is the red and white portion of the 4th of July theme.
I found this recipe in Gloria-Mom’s recipe box and picked it out for two reasons. One- because of the colors and two-because of the simple ingredients. Easy is good.
I have to say though, making this pie made me slightly uncomfortable. I felt it went against my declaration of using fresh ingredients. Dream Whip® isn’t exactly fresh cream, but the recipe did call for it. The cherry pie filling was from a can. Not exactly fresh from the farm, but again, the recipe did call for it.
I did make a home-made graham cracker pie crust, quickly got over the guilt and went for it. Here’s the recipe.
Cherry Cheese Pie-
Recipe from Gloria-Mom
- 1 Graham Cracker pie crust
- 1 envelope of Dream Whip, prepared
- 1-8oz. pkg of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
Prepare graham cracker pie crust. Set aside to cool. Prepare Dream Whip topping as directed. In same bowl, beat in softened cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Spoon into cooled pie crust. Chill 3 hours. Top with cherry pie filling.
- The cream filling of this pie was really tasty. I am a sucker for anything with cream cheese mixed in to it.
- A good substitution for the Dream Whip® could have been true whipping cream or even CoolWhip®. And another option for the topping could have been fresh raspberries.
- My graham cracker crust did not stay together very well this time. It basically fell apart when the pie was cut and served. I blame it on the fact I was trying to go from memory with reference to the graham cracker crust recipe. If you know me well, remembering things is not one of my strong suits. I fell short on the amount of butter, thus the crust collapse.
- As for the rating, I rate it an 8. It’s easy and it’s good.