Alright, I am going out here on a limb… zucchini pie…and to make it more interesting, this recipe is for a SWEET pie, not a savory! Hmmmm…. no cheese, eggs or bacon in here….I am a little skeptical myself. But the reviews from Allrecipes.com raved about this one, so what the heck…it can’t be worse than the Seafood Pot Pie!
You may realize by now I have a decent size garden in my little backyard. Because it takes up about 1/4 of the footprint my boys don’t appreciate it much especially during the times when the ball they are playing with gets sucked up into the under growth and causes a delay in their game. But I love the garden and the bounty it produces especially at the end of summer because all the vegetables are coming into their peak.
Now zucchini tends to be a plant that you love or hate. Most who grow it love it, but by the end of the season hate it because it is so prolific. Frankly, I run out of ideas of things to make with this green cousin of the squash family. So instead of my standard zucchini bread or zucchini bake recipes, tonight I am pulling this vegetable into the pie project.
Curious to see how the boys like it…my guess is NO…just because it is a green vegetable!
Here’s the recipe and the link if you want to read the reviews.
” This version of this tasty pie has a bit more texture. The cooked zucchini is folded into a mixture of flour, cream of tartar, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and nutmeg. The filling is then piled into a prepared pie crust and fitted with a top crust. Slip it into a hot oven to bake for an hour. “
And let the pie making begin!
- I used the standard Basic Flaky Pie Crust recipe, but doubled it.
- For some reason, I thought if I used at least some brown sugar as a substitute, it might make it taste better. I used 1 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of brown instead of all white sugar like the recipe calls for.
- I was a little apprehensive about putting all the filling into the pie shell since it was so water-y, so I held some back like my photo above shows. I kept envisioning zucchini pie soup….
- Truly this pie is UNBELIEVABLE!!!! It was everything I didn’t think it would be! I can’t even begin to describe how amazing it tasted. It definitely scored a 10 from me. It was extremely delicious and not even a tiny bit runny!
- Don’t have apples, that’s okay, use zucchini instead! If you seriously want to fool your friends and family by sneaking a “green vegetable” into dessert, I am telling you make this pie. You wont’ be disappointed.